Friday, September 26, 2008

Indecision '08

For the first time in my life I am not 100% sure who I'm going to vote for in the presidential election. I'm not one of those people who vote along party lines exclusively. I tend to vote for candidates who mirror my values (at least on the outside anyway).
This cycle though, it hasn't been as clear cut. I am going to watch the debate tonight and maybe something one of the candidates accidentally says will convince me one way or the other. I say "accidentally" because you can't trust politicians. They have polished answers and speech writers who tell them what to say. So maybe one of them will let something slip and let those of us who try to read between the lines will get a glimpse of who these people really are.
Another thing that may sway me is the way the candidates supporters behave. One camp in particular seems to have nothing but sarcasm and name calling on their side. I have yet to hear an Obama supporter say anything positive and substantial about their guy. Everything I hear from that side is about how bad/old/inexperienced/over experienced/religious the other ticket is. They talk about how "inexperienced" Sarah Palin is but they don't want to talk about experience when it comes to Obama versus Mcain. Not one candidate on either ticket has 1 day of presidential or vice presidential experience so I don't put much weight behind that argument. I want to hear why your pick is a good one, not why the other pick is bad. As of yet, I haven't heard anything but buzz words and mud-slinging.

Palin was clearly a token choice by the Mcain camp but at least their supporters are, for the most part, respectful and haven't resorted to name calling (so far). You could make the same argument about Obama or Hillary, had she won. Sure you've got your whack job conservatives hanging effigies but those nuts are few and far between (thank God).

All in all, I am having a hard time figuring out how either candidate will make my life any better. Maybe the debate tonight will answer some questions, maybe not. My advice to you: Don't listen to what they say, try to hear who they are.

2 comments:

  1. Well at least you aren't just voting blindly Republican because it's the "Christian" thing to do.

    I won't go into garrulous detail, but I am PrObama because I am for ending this fruitless, wasteful, horrific, despicable, arrogant, pointless war in Iraq. I am also in favor of abolishing the death penalty. I also believe in his plans for (important and relevant) environmental issues. Amongst other things.

    No need to bash Old Man River and Soccer Mom, or call them names. (Just kidding). I think they're records and words speak for themselves.

    Thanks for being honest, and the best of luck with your choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your openness in this transitional time in the U.S. elections. I currently lean toward Obama and a big reason is the "Warrior" mentality that the Repubs have understandably put forward about McCain. But that's the problem, I don't want a warrior as President, I want a peace maker. I served as an Army officer, so I'm not some unpatriotic liberal tree hugger. But I'm tired of the billions that have gone into Iraq that should be going into America. And if the "Rattling of Sabers" happens again, I don't want McCain's Pavlovian response to be that young men again be rushed off to war.

    "War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other's children.
    Former Pres Jimmy Carter (1924 - )

    In Obama I see a true chance for something new. End the Death Penalty, bring the war to a close and let’s try actually loving our neighbor and letting mercy no longer be a word associated with weakness. For what it’s worth, thanks for letting me talk.

    ~ Rafael

    ReplyDelete