Sunday, October 19, 2008

Getting our serve on.

At New Life Church this past Saturday, we had what we call "Serve Day". We bring in huge dumpsters and invite people to come and drop off their trash for free. We had a station for people to drop off old appliances, a shredding service truck for paper and 2 Salvation Army trucks. We had free car-washes and gave out sack lunches as people left. It is a great way to serve our community and a great time of camaraderie.
Since my wife has been about of town all week, I had my oldest son with me so I had to find something for him to do. He had a blast handing out lunch sacks and playing with some other kids. As we were leaving the house that morning, my son asked me why we had to go. I told him that Jesus said that people would know that we were His followers by the way that we love each other. So I said "What is one of the best ways to show someone that we love them?" To which he replied "Take their trash?"
Good call kid, good call.

1 comment: