Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Discipline of Worship

In Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster, there are some good insights into worship, among other things. Here is some of what he says:

Worship is our response to the overtures of love from the heart of the Father. Its central reality is found "in spirit and truth." It is kindled within us only when the Spirit of God touches our human spirit. Forms and rituals do not produce worship, nor does the disuse of forms and rituals. We can use all the right techniques and methods, we can have the best possible liturgy (I would add music as well), but we have not worshiped the Lord until Spirit touches spirit."

As a worshiper, how do you (or I) cultivate the atmosphere where "Spirit touches spirit" in our own lives? If you are a worship leader, how do you cultivate that atmosphere in a corporate setting? I would love to hear any thoughts/insights you might have on this.

5 comments:

  1. I'm reminded of what my youth pastor used to tell me as a teenager: "You are as close to God as you want to be". I think spirit touches Spirit when we want that to happen. God is a word or an action away, and we can be there in the intimate embrace as often as we want. I'm not one of those people who believes in "Seasons". I think that's bollocks. God is close, or you are far away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts. I think as it relates to worship, "in spirit and in truth" means not in our flesh and with nothing hidden. In other words, we approach God even when we don't feel like it(our spirit wins out over our flesh) and with pure hearts and pure hands (repentant).

    ReplyDelete
  3. In cultivating a "spirit touches spirit" atmosphere I've got 2 words for you. Chris and Tomlin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you Brian, and Sam...sorry, not familiar too much with Chris Tomlin. For me, i don't think my heart is ever clean...and so, I distance myself. When everything just plain sucks, and instead of choosing to be numb, and saying i don't care, I feel my spirit touch God's when I stop trying to hide my true and honest feelings, and really admit where I'm at. not even in words - its just a moment where I stop holding my breath from God, and for lack of a better, non 'christian-ese' term, its a surrendur of my heart. So often I want to hold on to anger and whatever else because I feel justified in having it, regardless of how uncomfortable it makes my life day in and day out. I think 'christianity' has taught me a lot to not be hurt, at least not for longer than a sunday service. So, I am holding this bandage over my heart pretending I'm fine...but, its the moment I quiet my spirit and peel off the bandage and show the Lord my open wounds. He already knows they are there, yes, but, my vulnerability to show him is where I find the connection. At least lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sam, I just jumped to your blog from another blog. Hope that's all right. I've been reading about worship recently and was really convicted when I read about how the power of the corporate worship experience is proportional to each individual's worship experience. So if you have a bunch of people who are distant from God six days a week, it doesn't matter what music you play on Sundays. But it works the other way too. Cultivate worship in your life, and it will flow into Sunday. Great post. Hope I can read more of your writing soon. God bless and happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete