Saturday, August 30, 2008

Breaking Home Ties

I saw this painting for the first time a couple months ago in a news story. The original was found behind a fake wall in the home of a man who had died. It is called "Breaking Home Ties" by Norman Rockwell.
There are a few things that struck me about this painting when I first saw it. First, the detail in the painting is amazing. The contrast in the old, weathered face and hands of the father and the youthful excitement in the face of the boy headed off to college. The man seems like the type who has lived by the sweat of brow for a long time. He strikes me as the kind of man who will see his son off with a handshake instead of a hug. Notice that the boy is looking for the train and the old man is looking back toward home.
Looking at this picture today I noticed something I hadn't before; The old man is holding his hat in his hand but he is also holding the boy's hat. His last attempt to hold on to his son. Maybe he knows that he won't see him again for a long time. maybe he knows that his son will not follow in his footsteps.
I have at least 12 years until this scene becomes a reality for me but it hits home.

What do you see?

2 comments:

  1. This picture is still so relevant for our generation.

    A lot of us can relate to the hard working parent and the hope they have that we'll have it better than they did.

    And now I feel it for my little one.

    I see my dad in the old man, and the look in the young boy's eyes is the same as my little girl's.

    The boy knows the thoughts that are running through his dad's mind, the same way I knew the thoughts running through my dad's mind.

    I hope one day my daughter will understand as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you pointed out that the Dad is holding his son's hat. I wouldn't have noticed that otherwise.

    It kind of choked me up because I feel the father's affection for his child, his way of watching out for him, taking care of him and loving him without compromising the rough exterior. That's probably the best he can do.

    It reminds me that people show love in many different ways. I have a father who doesn't say he loves me, but I know he does. I bet the kid in this picture has the same kind of father, he doesn't hear it, he just knows.

    I know our parents, and as parents ourselves, do the best we can for our children. It's nice to see a picture that so completley shows us what that can look like.

    ReplyDelete