Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Head Wounds

They say you never forget your first head wound. Well today my 6 year old got his. He fell in the back yard and gashed his head on a concrete block. I had to rush home and run him over to the urgent care because my wife is not good with blood. I told him to tell the doctor that he was in a gang fight but he wouldn't do it. Two staples to the head and he was ready to go home. I was proud of him, he did really well with the whole thing.


Have you ever noticed that when you are in a hurry, no one else is? I tried really hard not to be agitated on my Cannonball Run home but it wasn't easy. That made me think about driving and being frustrated. As someone who has his face projected onto a giant screen in front of a couple thousand people a week, it only takes being recognized a couple of times at Starbucks to realize that when I am in public, I can't have a crappy attitude with baristas even if they totally screw up my order or get 5 people behind me in line their drinks before mine (Sadly, these are things that sometimes trigger a crappy attitude in me). I have to think about that when I drive as well. If someone cuts me off, I can't give them a dirty look even though deep down I feel like giving them the bird. I represent New Life Church. My problem is not with the fact that I can't do those things; My problem is with the fact that I want to.



Someone completely cut me off today and then glared at me. For some reason, my first thought was "Why am I holding on to this aspect of my personality?" The part of me that wants to punish people for their mistakes. I want to be a person who is completely surrendered but I don't want to let go of that part.


I once heard someone say "You can't cast out your flesh, you have to crucify it." I have a part of me that needs to be crucified. I need to make a concious choice to crucify my flesh every day. This, I think, is the least fun part of following Jesus.


Again, I feel like today I grew a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment