Sunday, June 15, 2008

That guy

Have you ever noticed that without exception, at every single kids event there is at least 1 guy who does not understand societal norms in the least? I was attending my son's end-of-kindergarten-concert the other night and I was looking for him. Doesn't-get-it guy, not my son. I knew where my son was, back row second from the left. Anyway, about halfway through the 6 year olds' version of Chris Tomlin's How Great is Our God, complete with hand motions, mind you, I spotted him. Actually it would have been difficult not to. There he went walking up the center aisle with his camera in hand, completely oblivious to the other 300 people in attendance. He boldly stood front and center peering in to his view finder declaring to everyone that he was "that guy". After, I kid you not, a full minute, he finally ducked down right next to the people sitting in the front row. Here is my personal rule: If you aren't early enough to get a front seat, you live with zoomed-in video. While that was pretty bad, I soon discovered that "that guy" had brought a friend. There was another. He sat a couple rows back and was talking at innapropriate levels all night. Toward the end of the concert, which was only about 30 minutes, he could be heard saying things loudly like; "She looks tired, doesn't she look tired?! Honey, Honey, doesn't she look tired?!!" The truth was we were all a little tired and talks-alot wasn't helping.

So I think society could benefit greatly if we would all agree to follow a couple simple rules:

1. Don't stand in front of other people who arrived on time to get a good seat.

2. Don't talk loud.

There are probably more but these will suffice for now. Send me your ideas for more simple rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment