Saturday, July 19, 2008

Defining Community

A friend of mine emailed me today asking me for some thoughts on community. Like what it means within the kingdom, outside of the kingdom, and how we can cultivate community in both. Apparently people really care about my opinion. Ok not really people necessarily, it's pretty much just my 1 friend, but I digress. Then he finished with "What does John 13:35 mean to you?". That got me thinking, which was odd because most of the time when I reply to emails I just ramble incoherently until I figure I have completely confused the person to the point that they have quit reading my reply. Works like a charm. Try it sometime like when your supervisor asks you where your time sheet is or whatever. Anyway, John 13:35 talks about how we will be known as disciples of Jesus by the love that we have toward each other.

So here is my question for you: What does community mean to you in light of John 13:35? With permission, I will forward your comments to my friend. He writes a wildly unpopular blog and might use them.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, this is out of left field, but here goes...

    I've always been a "secret formula" girl. There's a solution to any problem, you just have to find the right secret formula to solve it.

    So I've been that way with God's grace. What is the secret formula? What do I have to think, act, feel or do to feel completely sure I'm in God's grace?

    But the trick is on me. There's no secret formula.

    Love others more than you love yourself. That's it. Do that with everything that's in you and you'll be "in" with God.

    Told you it was out of left field. Hmm...I wonder who this "friend" is of yours?

    ReplyDelete