Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Shack

I read The Shack this week and I was really moved by it. I thought it painted a beautiful picture of how God relates to us. There is a lot of discussion about suffering, loss and forgiveness. I don't think I made it through a whole chapter without crying but then I am a crier. I can't watch other people cry without choking up myself. I've always been that way. I can't watch other people deal with tragedy or loss without sympathizing. I remember seeing the Challenger blow up on TV when I was little and being moved by the loss of the families. So when I read The Shack, I cried more than a catholic statue of Mary. I know there are a lot of people who take issue with some of the theological issues presented but that's to be expected. Whenever someone challenges the way we think about God, it's only natural to defend what we believe. I enjoyed the way it was written and that it challenged the way I think about the character of God and the relationship between Jesus, God the Father and The Holy Spirit. I won't spoil it for you, but the way that God the Father shows Himself to the main character threw me for a loop. I guess because the way I picture God in my mind's eye is the same way as the main character says he does; An old white man with a long white beard.

Overall, I would say that if you want to be challenged in the way that you think and are into moving stories, read The Shack. If you're the kind of person who gets all bent out of shape when someone makes fun of your WWJD bracelet; read something else.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, sometimes it's good to take a step back, re-examine our view of the creator...I haven't read "The Shack" yet but it's on my list!

    ReplyDelete